NAMI Kentucky provides education, support, and advocacy for the well-being of all individuals affected by mental illness.
All of us can make a difference in helping educate the public on mental illness. Help us in our grass-roots movement by doing any of the following:
- Visit the NAMI National Website, and learn about all our programs as well as current research. Check out the NAMI store for products. Buy a t-shirt and wear it to increase our name recognition!
- Become a NAMI member: There is strength in numbers. Your membership, and the membership of your family members, makes a difference! Contact your NAMI affiliate for more information on member benefits and programs.
- Become a Volunteer: NAMI is run almost entirely by family members and consumers. If youâ€™ve benefited from NAMIâ€™s programs, consider giving back by contacting your local affiliate or the state office and signing up to volunteer once a week, once a month, or even for special projects (e.g. Fundraising Walks). Students can earn volunteer credit through participation in a NAMI event!
- Attend a NAMI support group in your area. If you are a family member of someone with mental illness or a person affected by mental illness, you need support, and there is support available. For information on meetings near you, go to our Programs page and click the link for “Affiliate Support Groups” at the bottom.
- Become a Support Group Facilitator! If youâ€™ve been a support group member for a while, consider training to facilitate one. We are in great need of facilitatorsâ€”consider finding a friend and pairing up. Contact your affiliate or state office if youâ€™re interested.
- Participate in a Family-to-Family class. These classes teach family members about the five major mental illnesses (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, unipolar depression, panic disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder), possible causes, symptoms, treatments, resources, and communication and coping skills.
- Participate in Fundraising Walks: Several NAMI affiliates hold annual walks to raise awareness and funds for NAMI programs. Contact your local affiliate or state office and ask when the next walk is, or where the nearest one will take place. The NAMI Invitational Walk is the first week of October each year in Lexington. Put a team together to be represented at the walk!
- Write your Legislator: NAMI tries to keep its members informed about relevant legislative issues. We urge you to write to your legislators when issues arise that could affect your loved onesâ€™ futures.
- Spread the Word: NAMIâ€™s most effective marketers are its members. Let others know about NAMI, what it is, and what we do. Take a flyer to your local school, churches, libraries, bookstores, hospital, mental health facility, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. Tell these organizations youâ€™d be happy to come and talk about NAMI. Consider making a presentation, or asking someone from NAMI to present to your group, during the following: National Mental Illness Awareness week, National Schizophrenia Awareness week, National Bipolar Awareness week, National Mental Health month. These dates will be announced in NAMIâ€™s newsletters.